Friday, June 13, 2014

TED Talks: perfect research project for any class

My persuasive/expository unit is focused around STEM fields: teaching organization patterns with spider goats (check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYlkJyG1Oik ), audio/visual manipulation and logical fallacies with GMO propaganda (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkionqWPc-Q ), and a slew of other skills with Odyssey magazine articles (http://www.odysseymagazine.com/). So when it came time for me to work on the research component, I knew I wanted more than just the research essay, I wanted to use that essay for a purpose. And what better purpose than to convert the essay into a TED Talk!

What is a TED talk?
Ted Talks aren’t just for STEMs. The soft sciences, philanthropy, dietary philosophies, social concerns, all these things are addressed in the various TED and TEDx talks. They have their own YouTube channels and I encourage you to go there, watch the intro vids, and read about what they are. I simply couldn't do justice to the awesomeness that is a TED talk.

Why a TED talk?
If you asked students to give a presentation in class, let’s be honest: they have one shot and only one shot. With a TED talk, they are recording their movements and inflections, and then replaying them, and then rerecording as needed. The fact they can actually SEE how they present is the best feedback. Letting a child give a live presentation and then mentioning to her that she was compulsively touching her hair the whole time, it really too late for feedback. Where, if they student saw her own hair touching, she would be more aware of it as she tried her presentation again.

How do I do it?
The research essay, I grade as its own product looking at the usual suspects: organization and ideas, research, citations, conventions, and style. When I ask the students to convert these into TED talks, we examine TED talks and come up with a presentation rubric of visuals, volume, inflection, and non-verbals. Then, students take their essay and truncate it for a presentation. They cut things out and reword things once they discover that what looked okay on a page is not what sounds best aloud (Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson’s Senate testimony that he submitted written was revised for his verbal testimony. We analyze the differences in class before we even begin our TED talks so when it comes time to make the TED talk speech, they kids already know it is not weird to change things up.)  In class, we use iPads with iMovie – although some of my students do go home that weekend and do it on their phones and submit it to me that next Monday. Those kids who have it in early are usually more than willing to play cameraman for their peers. To submit, I can pull the talks right onto my desktop and I put a student in charge of that. Some students submit via You Tube (DON’T DO PRIVATE!) and sending me the link.

I don’t have any samples I can post because they have the students’ faces on the videos, but it was really cool to see how creative students got with the presentation. One doing research on cochlear implants introduced her topic using sign language with captions at the bottom.  

No matter your subject area, TED talks are great platforms of student work!



No comments:

Post a Comment