Friday, March 11, 2016

March Madness: Reflective, Competitive PD Week 2

Week 1 results: We won! ELA will now square off against PE.

Week 2:
Reflection of observation: 5 points

The need to model is so vital, especially with technology. Merely have technology directions or just watching technology is not helpful. Having Mr. H model the step and then participants do that step, and then him model the next and participants do the next, is really helpful. For flipping lessons I think explicitly stating to students "You will need to pause the video and do the step for your own topic" or some similar direct instruction is a good idea. While it may be obvious to us, it is not always obvious to the kids. Which makes me think about how flipped classroom instruction needs to be modeled for kids too, where the teacher pretends she is the student and models how she will pause the video or go back and re-watch. Sort of like a think aloud.

Entry 1: 1 point

Describe a specific instructional adjustment (e.g., materials, sequencing, etc.) which you have made based on the needs assessment of your students.
During a do now where student selected the most important part of each paragraph, I quickly saw the students were not selecting the same thing I would select. I decided to see if students could identify the main idea and support details in a paragraph. When I saw the majority of students were not able to correctly identifying that, I decided to post-pone my original main lesson about persuasive techniques and instead paired students and gave them post-it notes. I then modeled how to place a piece of information from the model paragraph on each post it. I then talked through the process with the students, using the post-its as manipulatives to find main idea. I assigned each partnership a paragraph (with each paragraph having two partnerships). After pairs determined main idea, I had them match up with the other pairing and discuss. I went to each group of four to check for understanding. I then created a closure activity where students used the same strategy on a different paragraph and submit. This is a lesson I came up with on the fly based upon what I know of how 8th graders learn best: providing manipulatives and grouping to make abstract ideas more concrete.

Entry 2:1 point

Describe the approaches you have used to monitor classroom performance and to provide feedback to students regarding their progress in academic skills.
Plickers have been a great help. It allows me to assess and correct. I also like commending students who do an exceptional job. For example, on a test with an essay, I started a class list on my board of essays that are "Drop the Mic Worthy". Students who did an exceptional job had their names added throughout the day as I graded. This not only provided feedback, but also encouraged students to try to go above and beyond and really pay attention to the sophistication of syntax and diction.

Entry 3: 1 point

Describe how you assisted your students who were experiencing serious attendance problems.
One of the best way for me to help students who are unable to come to school is by me taking video of my lesson (the part than can't really be translated via assignment) and providing that for students. Through use of edmodo and embedding videos, students are able to not fall too far behind.

Entry 4:1 point

Describe your approach in working with students who were failing or in danger of failing.
Most of the time, student who are failing are failing due to missing assignments. I've tried taking advantage of getting student's work during the school day. For our half-days I contacted the 7th period teacher of all my failing students to see if the child could come in during that extended 7th period to complete work. Coaches have also been wonderfully flexible, allowing students to come in to complete during PE.

Entry 5: 1 point

Today my inspiration comes from grading my students' tests. I developed a new way of having kids write explanation. While it is by far still the biggest issue, I can't express how much better the explanation has gotten. They are now, finally, referring to what is in quotations. For the most part they are connecting it back to the assertion. Now I just have to develop a strategy to get them to do it almost 100% of the time. Cafe Squidd really inspires some deep things!


No comments:

Post a Comment