Monday, May 23, 2016

Using Google Forms for Status of the Class

Why Google Forms:


  • Because students are not having to publicize where they are or what they are struggling with, they may be more forthcoming about struggles or concerns.
  • Form data shows up in sheets, which lets you organize information
  • Students dos not have to wait for you to finish status of the class to begin working. They can come directly into class, do the status of the class form, and then begin working.

Set up is easy:

Create a new Google Form. I like to include: name, information about their piece, a drop down of what stage they are in, a drop down of how they are feeling about their piece and what they need from the teacher, an additional short answer if they feel there is any information they need to tell me. Check out what this form looks like here. I make the form and then I make a copy for each class period. I prefer to do it this way so I can see the pie chart (see below) for each class as an individual instead of cumulative. I want to be able to tailor my instruction to each period, so it makes more sense to my thinking to do it this way.

Responses:

The first view of data gives you an overview of responses. If you see most kids at a certain stage, this can help you decide mini-lessons and pacing. Likewise, this can also tell you how your class is doing overall. A class feeling a lot of uncertainty vs. a class that for the most part feels good to great needs a conversation or perhaps new approach.

The second view is in the sheets. The first sort I go to is "Where are you?" From there, I quickly pair up peer conferencing opportunities, then I look at "How is it going?" to see if any students are in dire need of help. If I see several students who are giving me SOS and on the same stage of the writing process, I'll do a quick small group to help them. I may also see about using a student who is done helps a student who may be stuck on revising do a second, more in-depth conference. Likewise, students who are all done, may actually be "done" and I may partner them up. From "How is it going?, I move back to "Where are you?" and start with students wanting to conference with teacher and meet with them, check in with students feeling uncertain, and the cycle through my students who have finished peer conferencing or revising as needed.


 Additional way to use Google Forms in workshop classrooms:

When doing group projects, this can also give you insight into issues within the groups. Have each student fill out their own without group members looking over their shoulders.

Great for literature circle status of the class as well. It can help you determine if a group is falling behind or confused by their book.

Use it for self-selected reading. Students can communicate the page they are on, their goals for the reading, etc.

Status of the Class comes from Nancie Atwell's In the Middle. I highly recommend every ELA teacher read this book!




No comments:

Post a Comment