Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Choose Your Own Adventure Prewriting Lesson 2: Create deviations from the plot

After completing day one of prewriting, it is on to day two: Deviation day! The kids love playing the "what if?" game and not only get a good dose of creative writing but also are secretly analyzing how those decisions influence theme.

1. In my example, the plot took 8 cards, so I model with my first deviation and have that become card 9. I also show students how, if they want, they could have deviations within deviations.
2. Students determine the new theme. (see my method of teaching theme here)
3. I do make sure each child has only one of each card and lays out their outline to show how it makes sense. 
adding in the deviations


Go to the next day, creating the PowerPoints, linking, and drafting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment