Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Blended Learning Problem Solving: Large Class Size = Mirrored Station Rotation

When you have over 30 students in 6 class periods the idea of station rotation can seem daunting. How can I group them so there are not too many students per group? How many separate stations will I need to make? 6? How do I even do that?! How long will this take? With 6 stations, that would be 3-4 days! We are BYOD, I don't have enough devices for that....

But I love the idea of personalized learning, students having some control, and me getting to actually talk to students small group and directly connect with every child. You know, what blended learning is all about! Enter mirror stations. In mirror stations there are 3 stations that get duplicated. So on half of your room looks like the other half.

Here is how I organize it:
1. Independent station on computers and devices
2. Teacher station
3. Small group practice



Notice how I put the teacher station in the center? That way I can more easily monitor. I can also break out the small groups,  spreading them out further with beanbags in corners. 

Here is where the differentiation comes along:
  • Ability group based on recent data relating to the skills. In other words, if this is about writing, I need to use writing data. If it is about reading skills, I need to use data from reading assessments.
  • To help you keep it straight, keep intervention groups on one side of the room. This may be 1 group in second period and 3 groups in first period. Keep enrichment on the other. This is typically 1 group a class period.
  • For independent station, I may be use district approved reading software that tailors to a student's individual need. Or, I might have created an Office Mix about a reading strategy or concept. For writing, students may be accessing revision strategies and selecting the one they feel their writing needs the most. This online learning is part of what makes this meet the definition of blended learning.
  • For teacher station, create an instructional piece that can be adapted for one level, intervention, and enrichment. For example, I love a good card sort. Groups don't have to know that the intervention groups are getting a different set than the rest of the class and no one knows the enrichment groups are getting to an extension activity. When my interventions students are with me, enrichment students are also at the teacher station. They will be able to complete their task and begin extension without me having to do much direction. I'll spend the majority of my time facilitating with the intervention group and keeping an ear our for the enrichment group. For the on level groups, I'll be splitting my time more evenly between then. If an intervention group finishes, hand them the on level. If an on level finishes early, let them do the enrichment!
  • For small group practice, students may be working as partners to apply a strategy or concept. As writers, they may be conferencing on their writing with a partner. Since we are BYOD, I can also include a device agnostic task in here. Perhaps a reading check quiz with the partner or participating in an online discussion board. 
Definition from Clifford Maxwell

No comments:

Post a Comment